Monday, June 4, 2012

PROJECT 3: The Poetic Metamorphasis

Assignment: 
Using only white copy paper (do not use card stock) make three paper sculptures. The three paper sculptures are to represent the setting discussed in The Metamorphosis and will be miniature.  The three sculptures are: a bed, a chest (or container, box, drawers, etc...)  and a bug.  The bed should contain the following elements: a mattress, a box spring, a bed frame that elevates it from the floor, a headboard and at least one pillow and one blanket.  The chest should be designed so that it can conceal the bug. This assignment uses limited materials and does not allow the use of tape or glue. Final solution should be stable and visually communicate your response to the readings. In class we will discuss how color, line, shape and texture can communicate content as well as the perceptions made when viewing the miniature.

Objective: 
Introduce the construction of three-dimensional form with the simple process of transformed plane. Provide the tools and structure needed for conceptual development. 
Expose students to the collaborations made between literature and visual art.
Expose students to theories of space. 



Materials:
White copy paper, ink set, brushes, scissors, Exacto knife, cut matt. 





PROCESS PHOTOGRAPHS
BED-
I wove pieces of paper together to create the headstand on his bed, and used two rolled pieces of paper to keep the box spring stable. I then rolled four pieces of paper to create the legs of the bed so it stood above the surface. I added a small mattress on top of the box spring so it wasn't too heavy on the small four legs. I painted the wood on the legs, box spring, and woven headstand a deep brown mixed with red to make it appear rustic and old looking. The mattress was first painted yellow then coated with a light layer of brown to add tone. Likewise, I originally painted the blanket yellow and then coated it with brown. I freaked out when I accidentally spilled red ink on the blanket. But then I grew to like it because it made the blanket look stained. Once the ink dried a little , I crumbled the blanket with my hands to add texture and allow it to dry in place. Lastly, the pillow was two pieces of paper rolled together with paper stuffed inside. I painted it like the headpiece to keep the colors balanced.
TRUNK-
I purposely designed the trunk to appear larger than normal. I wanted the trunk to be long and narrow, quite horizontal. I coated the trunk several times with black ink in order to make the trunk seem mysterious and bold in contrast aligned with the bed. I painted the handle green to add contrast to the trunk as a whole image. 
TRANSFORMATION-
My transformation resembles an ant. I rolled three balls of paper with a hard shell-like surface first. Then I rolled more smaller pieces of paper, and cut hole in each ball. After, I then attached the balls with the smaller rope-like pieces in order to connect the body with the legs. I added antennas on the head, and bent the legs to make them more believable. As a finishing touch, I coated the figure several times with brown ink without letting the paper give out, and I used black ink to create droopy eyes and antennas.


FINAL WORK PHOTOGRAPHS

ARTIST STATEMENT-

My miniature furniture set & metamorphosis was designed to embody the metaphorical intent of the literature. His family only needed him for his labor & financial income. I imagined Gregor's character to mirror the character of Cinderella, except she was the fairy tale version and he was the tragedy. Like Cinderella, I pictured his bedroom to resemble an attic-like room that is dark, dirty, and gloomy. I designed his bed to appear old and grimy. Mrs. Mongovi mentioned in class that the two big poles in the box spring reminded her of a stretcher and reminds her of death. The colors have a huge impact on my bed. The washed out and stained coloring communicates the idea of a dirty and grimy lifestyle. The idea that his family gave him the least they could offer him. At home I have a trunk full of images, magazines, and photographs of things I want to do and places I want to go. Gregor's trunk is full of all his dreams and is closed because they are secrets. The trunk is larger in proportion to the bed to symbolize that his dreams and desires are larger than his reality. The handle on the trunk is painted green to contrast with the black and radiate the feeling of envy. The trunk is full of pictures and desires that serve as Gregor's temporary escape from reality. The closed trunk in all black with a green handle almost taunts him in a sense, reminding him of how worthless his life is. The story says Gregor transforms into a bug with a hard back shell. The story is very specific about the description of the bug; however, I chose to make him a different insect. I chose to transform him into a working ant in order to communicate the idea that his family only needed him for money. They sucked the life out of him so he turned into what he inevitably became, a working ant. An insect who's only purpose it to harvest for the community and has absolutely no individual worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment